Oiler (On-Call) – Kingston
Are you able to work safely and effectively on engines and mechanical equipment? Do you enjoy working indoors and outdoors, and understand the physical characteristics and conditions of an engine room?
This position with the Ministry of Transportation will be of interest to you if you are looking for an opportunity in the future to become a Marine Engineer.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this hands-on role, you will:
• work under the guidance of the Marine Engineer, assisting in the safe operation and maintenance of the Wolfe Island Ferry system
• operate and maintain the ferry, ferry landings, machinery, equipment, buildings and safety gear
• inspect and diagnose machinery and equipment defects
• maintain watertight integrity and proper ventilation of compartments
• ensure proper lubrication and cooling of machinery
• degrease equipment and deck surfaces to reduce risk of fire and injuries
• conduct routine cleaning, maintenance and repair tasks
• assist in minor running repairs and in major engine and propulsion overhauls
• carry out assigned duties in emergency situations in accordance with Ministry Standing Orders for Ferry Operations, under the direction of the Captain or Marine Engineer
• assume the duties of Deckhand when required
• Shift work is required for this 24/7 operation.
• This position is irregular, on-call and the hours are not guaranteed, and will vary between 0 and 40 hours per week.
How do I qualify?
• You must have a Transport Canada Engine Room Rating Certificate.
• You must have a Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada (STCW Minimum).
Technical knowledge and abilities:
• You have proven marine mechanical aptitude.
• You have proven knowledge of seamanship principles and practices.
• You have demonstrated understanding of the operation, testing and maintenance of fire-fighting and lifesaving equipment.
• You have the ability to apply knowledge of relevant Transport Canada regulations and Ministry Standing Orders for Ferry Operations.
• You are able to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner.
• You are able to meet the essential bona fide requirements of the Physical Demands Analysis.
• You have effective communication skills.
• You are able to make effective decisions and can exercise good judgement.
• You have the ability to follow detailed technical instructions.
Salary Range: $24.81 - $27.50 Per Hour
• 1 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 12 months, 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
• The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 186119, by Thursday, September 22, 2022. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To Apply, Contact: