Ferry Captain – Kingston
Are you qualified for these unique opportunities? Looking to take to the waves where you will play an important role? These positions offer an exciting opportunity where you can use your seamanship skills to provide leadership to passengers, staff and officials.
Note: For the irregular, on-call vacancy, the hours are not guaranteed, and will vary between 0-40 hours per week.
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this job, you will:
• Direct the operation of a marine vessel on a shift basis
• Transport vehicles and passengers between Kingston and Wolfe Island
• Demonstrate effective leadership and interpersonal skills
How do I qualify?
• You have Transport Canada Certification of Competency: Master Limited for a vessel of 60 Gross Tonnes or more
• You have Transport Canada Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
• You have Radiotelephone Operator's (Restricted) Certificate
• You have a valid Continued Proficiency Endorsement
• You have a valid Marine Medical Certificate
• You have knowledge of and experience with seamanship principles and practices
• You have knowledge of the operation of navigational aids, steering and propulsion controls, and navigational and emergency lighting systems
• You can apply knowledge of relevant sections of legislation such as Transportation Canada regulations, Canada Shipping Act and Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act
• You have knowledge of emergency procedures and marine maintenance standards and procedures
Leadership and Supervisory Skills
• You can provide direction, and supervise crew in daily activities including assigning tasks, checking work performance, participating in the assessment of training needs
• You can provide direction to crew in responding to emergency situations in accordance with Standing Orders for Ferry Operation
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can interact effectively with passengers, staff and other internal and external stakeholders
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You can analyze and solve problems in order to determine safety implications, weather conditions and load restrictions
• You can set work priorities, and assign work
Salary Range: $1,321.69 - $1,517.21 Per Week
• 1 Permanent, 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
• 1 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
• The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, by Thursday, September 29, 2022, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers, and entering Job ID 186610 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To Apply, Contact: