Ferry Mate (Irregular, On-Call) – Picton
**This is a continuous posting and will be posted until an adequate pool of candidates is received. Screening and selection processes will begin after October 3rd, 2022. This posting may be extended but could close at any time after this date without notice. Please only submit your application ONCE under this Job ID.
Please Note: these positions are irregular, on-call and the hours are not guaranteed, and will vary between 0 and 40 hours per week.
You enjoy the vast openness of the water. Why not consider a job as a Ferry Mate? If life on the open waters has ever piqued your interest, this type of water vessel job may be your calling. You’ll love living in Experience Picton | Picton Ontario | Tourism https://www.experiencepicton.com The working location is enough to make you want to make this career move! The Ministry of Transportation’s Ferry Services https://www.ontario.ca/page/ferry-services requires three individuals to serve as Ferry Mates.
What a career in the OPS can offer you
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
• Competitive compensation and benefits
• Flexible work arrangements, including flexible hours, telework (remote work), a compressed work week, or job sharing (if applicable)
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the supervision of the Ferry Captain, you will:
• assist in the operation and maintenance of a Ferry Vessel transporting vehicles and passengers by deciding upon appropriate parking spaces for vehicles
• supervise the loading and unloading of vehicles and the securing and casting-off of the vessel
• ensure vessel and shore facilities are maintained in a safe, clean and efficient condition
• assist the Captain in the wheelhouse during poor visibility and emergency situations, as required
• check condition and accessibility of fire-fighting and life-saving equipment
• maintain passenger discipline
• respond to public enquiries and/or complaints
• investigate accidents/incidents and report to supervisor
• provide direction and guidance to deckhands
• assume duties of Captain or Deckhand on assigned shift, as required (as certified)
How do I qualify?
• You must have a valid class 'G' driver's licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
• Minimum Transport Canada Certificate of Competency as Mate Limited (for the specified vessel)
• Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
• Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
• Radiotelephone Operator's (Restricted) Certificate
• You have knowledge of seamanship practices/principles and experience to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner.
• You have demonstrated ability to interpret policies and procedures relative to marine operations to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner.
• You have decision-making skills to ensure the proper trim and stability of the ship appropriate to prevailing weather conditions and in investigating accidents involving vehicles.
• You have verbal, written and visual communication skills when supervising the direction of vehicles and to effectively communicate with co-workers.
• You have organization skills to carry out daily routines as well as complete non-routine activities.
Customer service skills:
• You have demonstrated experience in the delivery of quality customer service to deal courteously with complaints and concerns of passengers.
• You have the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when responding to unlawful situations.
• You must be courteous with the public and when responding to public inquiries.
Salary Range: $27.10 - $29.40 Per Hour
• 3 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months (with possibility of extension), 35 Hatchery Ln, RR 4, Picton, East Region
• The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 186891, by Monday, October 10, 2022. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To Apply, Contact: