3rd Assistant Engineer (OSV Fleet) – Covington/Port Fourchon LA
The Third Assistant Engineer is designated by the Company as an engineering officer of each vessel. The Third Assistant Engineer is responsible for the management, maintenance, and operation of shipboard engineering systems and equipment and is responsible for representing, enforcing, and preserving Company interests, policies, and procedures to the crew, clients, sub-contractors, and duly authorized authorities as directed by the Chief Engineer.
The Third Assistant Engineer’s duties include, but are not limited to, the full implementation of the Company’s Sail Safe Program, Code of Conduct, Company Policies, and Company Mission Statement. The Third Engineer serves as the Officer in Charge of the Engineering Watch (OICEW) as directed by the Master. The Third Assistant Engineer ensures the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of the vessel’s engineering systems and spaces including, but not limited to, main propulsion, power generation and management systems, vessel control systems, automation systems, dry bulk and liquid cargo transfer systems, fuel management systems, bilge and ballast systems; firefighting systems, refrigeration and HVAC systems; potable water, grey water and sewage systems, communication and electronic navigation systems, deck machinery and cranes. The Third Assistant Engineer manages all below deck cargoes and engineering stores; tracks and reports on the consumption of fuel, water, lube oils, hydraulic oils, and engineering spare parts and supplies. The Third Assistant Engineer is responsible for the monitoring of the seaworthiness of the vessel, the safety of the crew and persons in addition to crew, protection of the environment, protection of the cargo or property of the charterer, vessel’s industrial mission performance, mobilization and de-mobilization project management, charterer relations, crew resource management, cost control, crew competency assessment, training, and other responsibilities that may be assigned by the Chief Engineer or that the Third Assistant Engineer recognizes as essential to his/or her responsibility.
RESPONSIBILITY AND AUTHORITY
1. The Third Assistant Engineer is responsible for implementing the safety and environmental protection policies of the Company; motivating the crew in the observation of those policies; issuing and communicating appropriate orders and instructions in a clear and simple manner; and verifying that specified requirements of the Company’s Sail Safe Program, Code of Conduct, and Company policies are observed.
2. To ensure the safe operation of each vessel and to provide a link between the Company and those on board, the Company has designated a person or persons ashore having direct access to the highest level of management. The Third Assistant Engineer (and all crew members) has been provided contact information for the DPA and alternate DPA. The Third Assistant Engineer has the responsibility to monitor the safety and pollution prevention aspects of the operation of their ship and to ensure that adequate resources and shore-based support are applied, as required. Any deficiencies must be immediately reported to the Master and Company DPA.
3. As directed by the Master, the Third Assistant Engineer has the authority under his/her licensure to perform responsibilities aboard their vessel or when otherwise engaged in the business of the Company in the capacity of a Third Assistant Engineer in a manner consistent with this job description.
4. As directed by the Master the Third Assistant Engineer serves as the OICEW and is responsible to ensure the safe operation and efficient maintenance of the vessels engineering systems in compliance with the applicable laws and regulations of the vessel’s flag state, coastal state, and the Company’s Sail Safe Program in a manner consistent with maintaining the safety of the crew and the protection of the environment.
5. The Third Assistant Engineer manages engineering crew, vendors, and sub-contractors as directed by the Chief Engineer, including service delivery, safety management, human resource management, and cost management in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Company.
1. The Third Assistant Engineer is accountable to, and reports to the Chief Engineer of the vessel for all aspects of job performance.
2. The Third Assistant Engineer shall manage the engineering crew assigned to his/her vessel under the direction of the Chief Engineer.
3. The Third Assistant Engineer shall cooperate and work closely with flag state, port state and coastal state officials, client representatives, Operations Coordinator, Third Officer, OICNW, and any other relevant personnel necessary for the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of the vessels engineering systems as directed by the Chief Engineer.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The minimum qualifications and experience required for each Third Assistant Engineer are:
1. Possess all valid flag state (and coastal state as applicable) credentials required by law for service as Third Assistant Engineer on the route and class of vessel appointed to (examples: Merchant Mariners Credential, TWIC Card, Medical Certificate, etc.).
2. A valid Driver’s License.
3. A valid Passport is highly preferred.
4. A valid riggers certificate from a recognized issuing authority.
5. Ability to read and write English as well as render, understand, and react to commands given in English.
6. Minimum six months experience on vessels of similar size and route in a position not lower than Assistant Engineer.
7. Agreeable to occasional requirement to crew change by helicopter and maintain a valid OPITO BOSIET credential.
1. Regular and reliable attendance
2. The ability to get along with others
Quality Safety Incentive Bonus
To Apply, Contact:
Sean M. LeBlanc