Senior Marine Engineer – Kingston
This is a continuous posting and will be posted until an adequate pool of candidates is received. Screening and selection processes will begin after April 25th, 2023. This posting may be extended but could close at any time after this date without notice. Please only submit your application ONCE under this Job ID.
Bring your expertise in seamanship and organizational skills to our team, in this unique experience you won’t find anywhere else! Our working environment boasts work-life balance. All the adventure on the water but, when working for the Wolfe Island Marine Service, in the beautiful City of Kingston , you will be home for dinner with your family.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
• a defined benefit pension plan
• maternity and parental leave top-up benefits, which include adoptive parents
• comprehensive health plan
• life and disability insurance
• flexible work arrangements
• collegial and professional work culture
• career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• training to support your success in the role
Come work for the Ministry of Transportation and open the door to a wide variety of opportunities!
The Ministry of Transportation (MTO) strives to be a world leader in moving people and goods safely, efficiently and sustainably, to support a globally competitive economy and a high quality of life. MTO focuses its efforts on five key strategies: 1. Increase transit ridership by working with our partners to make transit an attractive, affordable alternative by expanding services and promoting integration. 2. Promote a multimodal transportation network to support the efficient movement of people and goods. 3. Promote road safety and remain among the safest jurisdictions in North America by improving safety and security for all road users through enforcement, education, legislation and regulation. 4. Improve Ontario’s highway, bridge and border infrastructure through strategic investments. 5. Integrate the principle of sustainability into the ministry’s decision-making, programs, policies and operations by implementing the ministry’s sustainability strategy and continuing to build awareness.
The Operations Division provides leadership related to ministry transportation activities by developing operational policies, providing end-user focused services for the transportation network, and maintaining and operating assets, infrastructure and services. Our division manages regional corridors, emergency management, maintenance and operations. We also play a pivotal role in building and managing transportation-related stakeholder relationships and partnerships in the province and advocate for regional needs.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the direction of the Ferry Captain and the technical guidance of the Chief Marine Engineer, work involves maintaining and operating all vessel engines, pumps and related equipment on an end-loading ferry operating between Kingston and Wolfe Island, by:
• conducting regular shift inspections, and checking and testing equipment
• oiling and greasing equipment
• removing and replacing worn parts
• checking for oil, water and fuel leaks
• reporting malfunctions to the Captain or Chief Engineer
• maintaining the vessel’s plumbing system
• assisting in the operation and maintenance of terminal equipment, compressor station equipment and various equipment overhauls, as required
• providing direction and guidance to Oilers
How do I qualify?
You have a:
• Certificate of Competency as a Marine Engineer, 4th Class Certificate issued by Transport Canada
• Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada (STCW Level Minimum)
• Marine Medical Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
• Demonstrated knowledge of seamanship principles and practices
• Knowledge of routine and emergency procedures relative to Marine Operations
• Knowledge of operation and maintenance of engines, generators, water and power supply, hydraulic systems and ramps, and other mechanical equipment
• Familiarity with use and maintenance of all lifesaving and firefighting equipment aboard ferries
• Problem-solving and analytical skills to detect problems or potential problems in equipment and respond appropriately in emergency situations
• Proven ability to make decisions involving routine operation, maintenance and repair of all marine equipment in ferry operation
• Planning and organizational skills to conduct shift inspections of onboard equipment and other equipment maintenance
• Interpersonal and communication skills in dealing courteously with passengers and other members of the public, and a commitment to delivering quality customer service
• Ability to communicate effectively as part of a crew responsible for the safety of passengers, fellow crew members and ship
Salary Range: $29.46 - $32.09 Per Hour
• 2 Permanent - Full Time, 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
• The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
To Apply, Contact: