Senior Marine Engineer – Kingston, Ontario
Here is a unique opportunity: Bring your expertise in seamanship and organizational skills to the Wolfe Island Marine Services, where you will be a key member of the team.
The Ministry of Transportation (MTO) strives to be a world leader in moving people and goods safely, efficiently and sustainably, to support a globally competitive economy and a high quality of life. MTO focuses its efforts on five key strategies: 1. Increase transit ridership by working with our partners to make transit an attractive, affordable alternative by expanding services and promoting integration. 2. Promote a multimodal transportation network to support the efficient movement of people and goods. 3. Promote road safety and remain among the safest jurisdictions in North America by improving safety and security for all road users through enforcement, education, legislation and regulation. 4. Improve Ontario’s highway, bridge and border infrastructure through strategic investments. 5. Integrate the principle of sustainability into the ministry’s decision making, programs, policies and operations by implementing the ministry’s sustainability strategy and continuing to build awareness.
The Operations Division provides leadership related to ministry transportation activities by developing operational policies, providing end-user focused services for the transportation network, and maintaining and operating assets, infrastructure and services. Our division manages regional corridors, emergency management, maintenance and operations. We also play a pivotal role in building and managing transportation related stakeholder relationships and partnerships in the province and advocate for regional needs.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
• Competitive compensation and benefits
• Flexible work arrangements including flexible hours, telework (remote work), compressed work week, or job sharing (if applicable)
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the direction of the Ferry Captain and the technical guidance of the Chief Marine Engineer, work involves maintaining and operating all vessel engines, pumps and related equipment on an end-loading ferry operating between Kingston and Wolfe Island by:
• conducting regular shift inspections, checking and testing equipment
• oiling and greasing equipment
• removing and replacing worn parts
• checking for oil, water and fuel leaks
• reporting malfunctions to Captain or Chief Engineer
• maintaining vessel’s plumbing system
• assisting in the operation and maintenance of terminal equipment, compressor station equipment and various equipment overhauls as required
• providing direction and guidance to Oilers
How do I qualify?
You have a:
• Certificate of Competency as a Marine Engineer, 4th Class Certificate issued by Transport Canada
• Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada (STCW Level Minimum)
• Marine Medical Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
• Demonstrated knowledge of seamanship principles and practices
• Knowledge of routine and emergency procedures relative to Marine Operations
• Knowledge of operation and maintenance of engines, generators, water and power supply, hydraulic systems and ramps, and other mechanical equipment
• Familiarity with use and maintenance of all lifesaving and firefighting equipment aboard ferries
• Problem-solving and analytical skills to detect problems or potential problems in equipment and respond appropriately in emergency situations
• Proven ability to make decisions involving routine operation, maintenance and repair of all marine equipment in ferry operation
• Planning and organizational skills to conduct shift inspections of onboard equipment and other equipment maintenance
• Interpersonal and communication skills in dealing courteously with passengers and other members of the public, and a commitment to delivering quality customer service
• Ability to communicate effectively as part of a crew responsible for safety of passengers, fellow crew members and ship
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti- racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit theOPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
To Apply, Contact:
How to apply:
1. You must apply online between Wednesday, July 21, 2021 to Thursday, August 5, 2021 11:59 pm EDT: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=166723 (this link will go live on Wednesday, July 21, 2021)
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
4. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
5. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
6. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.