Ferry Captain – Kingston, Ontario
Are you qualified for this unique opportunity? Looking to take to the waves where you will play an important role? This position with the Ministry of Transportation offers an exciting opportunity where you can use your seamanship skills to provide leadership to passengers, staff and officials.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Direct the operation of a marine vessel on a shift basis
• Transport vehicles and passengers between Kingston and Wolfe Island
• Demonstrate effective leadership and interpersonal skills
How do I qualify?
You must have a:
• Transport Canada Certification of Competency: Master Limited for a vessel of 60 Gross Tonnes or more
• Transport Canada Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
• Radiotelephone Operator's (Restricted) Certificate
• Valid Continued Proficiency Endorsement
• Valid Marine Medical Certificate
• Knowledge of and experience with seamanship principles and practices
• Knowledge of the operation of navigational aids, steering and propulsion controls, navigational and emergency lighting systems
• Ability to apply knowledge of relevant sections of legislation such as Transportation Canada regulations, Canada Shipping Act and Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act
• Knowledge of emergency procedures and marine maintenance standards and procedures
Leadership and Supervisory Skills
• Provide direction and supervise crew in daily activities, including assigning tasks, checking work performance, participating in the assessment of training needs
• Provide direction to crew in responding to emergency situations in accordance with Standing Orders for Ferry Operation
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can interact effectively with passengers, staff and other internal and external stakeholders
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• Analyze and solve problems in order to determine safety implications, weather conditions and load restrictions
• Set work priorities and assign work of ferry crew
Salary Range: $1,270.11 - $1,458.01 per week
• 1 Permanent, 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
• Effective July 1, 2020, the correct salary range for this position will be $1,282.81 to $1,472.59 per week in compliance with current OPSEU collective agreement provisions.
• The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 151302, by Wednesday, July 22, 2020. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To Apply, Contact: