Chief Marine Engineer – Kingston, ON
The Ministry of Transportation, Marine Services Office, requires two certified Marine Engineers for the positions of Chief Marine Engineer at their John Counter Boulevard location.
The Ministry of Transportation is committed to moving people and goods safely, efficiently and sustainably across Ontario and to improve quality of life and support a globally competitive economy.
• Follow us onTwitter
Transportation User Services is responsible for the management of public-facing services, including Concession Agreements, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Marine Services, Municipal and Client Services, Remote Airports and Traveller Communication.
Kingston, Ontario is situated on Lake Ontario, at the mouth of the Cataraqui and St. Lawrence rivers. It’s known as the “Limestone City” for its grand 19th-century buildings, including the lakeside Kingston City Hall. It will take you less than two hours to reach the closest border crossing that takes you into New York State. This opens your world up to explore a new country and culture. Domestically, you can reach Toronto in around two hours, or Mississauga, which is just ten minutes further along. Easy to get around, it is an ideal spot to raise a busy family and to retire.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
•Competitive compensation and benefits
• Flexible work arrangements, including flexible hours, telework (remote work), compressed work week, or job sharing (if applicable)
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Provide technical advice and guidance to marine engineers and oilers in the operation and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and plumbing equipment in support of a 24/7 operation
• Supervise, and participate in, the overhaul and rebuilding of all main engines, generators, propulsion units and compressor systems for the Terminal operations and the Ferry fleet
How do I qualify?
• Marine Engineer Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada for the vessel
• Marine Emergency Duty Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada for the vessel
• Valid Continued Proficiency Endorsement Certificate
• The position requires the successful candidate to have a valid class G driver's licence or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
• knowledge of seamanship principles and practices
• ability to provide guidance and technical advice to Marine Engineers and to develop guidelines or equipment operation and maintenance
• ability to understand and apply knowledge of Transport Canada regulations, Canada Shipping Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and Environmental Protection Act to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner and respond appropriately to emergency situations such as an oil spill
• knowledge of the safe and efficient operation of all shipboard and shore equipment for Marine Services, including maintenance, troubleshooting, disassembly and assembly, etc.
• working knowledge of standard computer programs and the ability to use diagnostics software for specialist equipment
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills:
• identify signs of equipment malfunctions or failure
• respond to emergency situations and develop strategies to effect prompt and safe repairs and minimize vessel down time
• discriminate between situations requiring future maintenance and immediate need for replacement/repair
• discuss inspections, repairs and modifications to vessels and shore equipment with Transport Canada officials to meet compliance requirements
• represent the ministry's interests in writing and verbally with contractors
• advise municipal staff on equipment and maintenance matters
To Apply, Contact:
Apply online at https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Apply.aspx?Language=English&JobID=171171