Senior Marine Engineer – Kingston
Apply by: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:59 pm EST
SENIOR MARINE ENGINEER
Organization: Ministry of Transportation
Division: Wolfe Island Marine Services
Job Term: 1 Permanent
Job Code: 17288 – Senior Marine Engineer 2
Salary: $27.75 – $30.23 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 140864
View Job Description
Here is a unique opportunity: Bring your expertise in seamanship and organizational skills to the Wolfe Island Marine Services, where you will be a key member of the team.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the direction of the Ferry Captain and the technical guidance of the Chief Marine Engineer, work involves maintaining and operating all vessel engines, pumps and related equipment on an end-loading ferry operating between Kingston and Wolfe Island by:
• conducting regular shift inspections, checking and testing equipment
• oiling and greasing equipment
• removing and replacing worn parts
• checking for oil, water and fuel leaks
• reporting malfunctions to Captain or Chief Engineer
• maintaining vessel’s plumbing system
• assisting in the operation and maintenance of terminal equipment, compressor station equipment and various equipment overhauls as required
• providing direction and guidance to Oilers
How do I qualify?
• You must have a Certificate of Competency as a Marine Engineer, 4th Class Certificate issued by Transport Canada.
• You must have a Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada (STCW Level Minimum).
• You must have a Marine Medical Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada.
• You have demonstrated knowledge of seamanship principles and practices.
• You have knowledge of routine and emergency procedures relative to Marine Operations.
• You have knowledge of operation and maintenance of engines, generators, water and power supply, hydraulic systems and ramps, and other mechanical equipment.
• You are familiar with use and maintenance of all lifesaving and firefighting equipment aboard ferries.
• You can use problem-solving and analytical skills to detect problems or potential problems in equipment and respond appropriately in emergency situations.
• You have proven ability to make decisions involving routine operation, maintenance and repair of all marine equipment in ferry operation.
• You have planning and organizational skills to conduct shift inspections of onboard equipment and other equipment maintenance.
• You have interpersonal and communication skills in dealing courteously with passengers and other members of the public, and a commitment to delivering quality customer service.
• You can communicate effectively as part of a crew responsible for safety of passengers, fellow crew members and ship.
Address: 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
Compensation Group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Category: Science and Engineering
Posted on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Apply by: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:59 pm EST
How to apply:
1. You must apply online.
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
4. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
5. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
6. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
To Apply, Contact: